Transform Any Organization, Our Society, and Your Destiny
I propose that there are nine foundational roles we play in life, roles like parent or entrepreneur, that have great potential to influence the kinds of society we live in. At one time or another, we nearly all play one or more of these roles. But without understanding their essence and social significance, we are likely to play them in mechanical and unconscious ways, patterning our choices on what we grew up with or on the behaviors we see all around us.
I deliberately distinguish role from career, although they may be the same in many cases. Roles may also be voluntary or unpaid, and they can change through time, depending on what is needed. One could say that the work we do in carrying out our roles is more about the heart than a paycheck. So it is especially gratifying when a role that we care about, such as being a designer or educator, becomes deeply integrated into how we make our livings.
The Regenerative Life book highlights the inherent potential for individual and societal transformation that is embedded in these commonplace roles, teaching us how to access and manifest their regenerative power. It draws on living system thinking, ancient and indigenous cosmologies, and scientific and philosophical investigations into how large scale change works. Although this thinking has systemic social implications, it is addressed to individuals seeking to create a better world through day to day engagement in their lives and work.
The Regenerative Roles:
- The Regenerative Parent:of natural born, adopted, foster or next generation family members.
- The Regenerative Earth Tender:via a volunteer, consulting or professional role. E.g. naturalist, biologist, forester, farmers, restaurants with their own farms. Those who see themselves as stewards for Earth’s vitality and viability and touch Life every day, with intention.
- The Regenerative Designer/Creator/inventor/researcher: personal expression often in support of other’s individual and group manifestations. E.g. writer, editor, coder, graphic artist, formatter, interior and exterior architect. Process is the focus.- break new ground
- The Regenerative Entrepreneur/Small Business:own a business or venture that includes others in delivering products or services (not consulting, coaching or mentoring.)
- The Regenerative Governing Official:elected or appointed at city, regional, or national levels. Not for profit positions.
- The Regenerative Economic Shaper: creator of policy and practices that shape how economies work. E.g. wall street or venture investor, tax infrastructure, regulator, economist, retirement investor. Not necessarily a practitioner but creator of the infrastructure that practitioners are bound or guided by.
Destabilizer/Hyparxic Roles (Elevate us to new worlds)
- The Regenerative Educator:public, private, elementary, middle, and upper schools. Colleges and universities.
- Regenerative Media Content Creator: Public expression as Journalist, filmmaker, author, show host, podcast/blog creator, TV producer, documentarian, shaper of opinion. Content is the focus.
- The Regenerative Spirit-Resource:spiritual leader, meditation teacher, personal coach, church leader, health practitioner, therapist, tracking teacher.
Invitation to Participate in a Regenerative Life Project:
The target audience for this project is members of society who aspire to bring greater harmony and equity into how life works, for self, one another and the planet. For this group, a good life is less about achievement and more about contribution grounded in meaning. Does this sound like you?
The project is open to people who fit this profile to help me develop real life case studies of the application of regenerative thinking to the roles they play. This is not about your business, job description or work assignments. It’s about how you perceive and evolve the ways you carry out a role. The materials we share with you will be used in your action learning opportunity, reported to us as a case story and then used preparing The Regenerative Life Podcast. They will also be used to create a set of nine correlated, internet-based Regenerative Life Role Communities.
Benefits to You Participating:
- Become more able to uplift the role you currently play to a regenerative mode of engaging in the world.
- Change how you see yourself and what you can achieve in everyday life without heroic effort.
- Grow more ability to lead others who are engaging in these roles as part of your friendship and support network.
- Get better at the role you are already playing and likely will do anyway.
- Receive excellent guidance (superior to what most training, advice, therapy, or coaching sessions provide) that is focused on something that really matters to you (and it’s currently free.)
- View a one hour pre-recorded online workshop regarding one specific role and learn about its essence. You may review this lesson for up to a year after you complete the two-month project for the book. Entry is on a rolling schedule, depending on your start date. You choose a role on which you focus. Listening to the recording by is open to anyone. But you do have to apply, sign contracts and agree to complete the work and submit a story as described in the videos.
- After listening to the recording, put your understanding to work. Spend several weeks exploring and evolving the ways you practice your role. Speak with others about what is being awakened in you. Keep a journal as described in the video and in the materials you receive after approval. Reading The Regenerative Life will help a lot with this process.
- Listen to the second one hour recorded online workshop to reflect on what you’ve been learning and add new thinking and practices to try out. Be prepared to record your efforts and what you are discovering.
- Continue putting the ideas into practice, engaging with your thinking and your experiences. Share what you’ve been learning with others in your life.
- Spend a little time organizing your experience and select a specific story that demonstrates the changes you’ve observed in yourself and others. Submit your story (instructions provided upon acceptance). You will be given guidelines for reflection that will help you to develop this story. Some of these stories may end up being used in blogs, the podcast, and Regenerative Life Community educational materials, in which case I will arrange with you to do a follow-up interview. Some stories may also provide the basis for podcast interviews. You approve anything we use. (See examples).
- Download and sign the Application, Non-Disclosure agreement and Release Form authorizing me to use your story. (You will be asked to review any materials I use for accuracy).
- Optionally, choose to stay in the Life-Role community as a way to pursue further learning.
Criteria for Participating
- This project is for anyone who meets the eligibility requirements. Each participant will provide stories that they can see are relevant to the fast changing world within which they live. I would love a diverse group of participants for this project (age, gender, race, experience, etc). Help spread the word to your network.
- Must be currently in one or more of the roles in your life and desire to evolve it to higher levels of effectiveness, particularly through working from a regenerative philosophy.
- Can create space and time to participate in and/or review the recordings and actively work to integrate into your life. More than one viewing will be helpful. Total Time: (2 hours to view materials, 1 hour for formulating story for submission). In addition, you will be dedicating the time you already spend in this role to working in a new way, based on the insights and exploration you’ve chosen to pursue.
- Willing to share your story of the new discovery from the material in the recording and the changes, pre- and post-viewing, in the role you currently pay. i.e. be transparent in your learning and discoveries.
- There is no fee to participate in this project. We ask that you buy 2-5 copies of The Regenerative Life for your use on the project as well as to share.
If you would like to be involved in this project, please download the forms and email them to me at. firstname.lastname@example.org.