I propose that there are nine foundational roles we play in life, roles like parent or entrepreneur, that have great potential to influence the kinds of society we live in. At one time or another, we nearly all play one or more of these roles. But without understanding their essence and social significance, we are likely to play them in mechanical and unconscious ways, patterning our choices on what we grew up with or on the behaviors we see all around us. I deliberately distinguish role from career, although they may be the same in many cases. Roles are often voluntary or unpaid, and they can change through time, depending on what is needed. One could say that the work we do in carrying out our roles is more about the heart than a paycheck. So it is especially gratifying when a role that we care about, such as being a designer or educator, becomes deeply integrated into how we make our livings. This book aims to highlight the inherent potential for individual and societal transformation that is embedded in these commonplace roles, teaching us how to access and manifest their regenerative power. It draws on living system thinking, ancient and indigenous cosmologies, and scientific and philosophical investigations into how large scale change works. Although this thinking has systemic social implications, it is addressed to individuals seeking to create a better world through day to day engagement in their lives and work.
The Regenerative Roles: Initiator Roles
- The Regenerative Parent: of natural born, adopted, foster or next generation family members.
- The Regenerative Earth Tender: via a volunteer, consulting or professional role. E.g. naturalist, biologist, forester, farmers, restaurants with their own farms. Those who see themselves as stewards for Earth’s vitality and viability and touch Life every day, with intention.
- The Regenerative Designer/Creator/inventor/researcher: personal expression often in support of other’s individual and group manifestations. E.g. writer, editor, coder, graphic artist, formatter, interior and exterior architect. Process is the focus.- break new ground.
- The Regenerative Entrepreneur/Small Business: own a business or venture that includes others in delivering products or services (not consulting, coaching or mentoring.)
- The Regenerative Governing Official: elected or appointed at city, regional, or national levels. Not for profit positions.
- The Regenerative Economic Shaper: creator of policy and practices that shape how economies work. E.g. wall street or venture investor, tax infrastructure, regulator, economist, retirement investor. Not necessarily a practitioner but creator of the infrastructure that practitioners are bound or guided by.
Destabilizer/Hyparic Roles (Elevate us to new worlds)
- The Regenerative Educator: public, private, elementary, middle, and upper schools. Colleges and universities.
- Regenerative Media Content Creator: Public expression as Journalist, filmmaker, author, show host, podcast/blog creator, TV producer, documentarian, shaper of opinion. Content is the focus.
- The Regenerative Spirit-Resource: spiritual leader, meditation teacher, personal coach, church leader, health practitioner, therapist, tracking teacher.
Invitation: The target audience for this book is members of the Millennial and Gen Z generations, individuals who aspire to bring greater harmony and equity into how life works, without trading off their health, relationships or sanity—or one another and the planet. For this group, a good life is less about achievement and more about contribution grounded in meaning. Does this sound like you? I am looking for people who fit this profile to help me develop real life case studies of the application of regenerative thinking to the roles they play. This is not about your business, job description or work assignments. It’s about how you perceive and evolve the ways you carry out a role. The materials we generate together will be used in preparing The Regenerative Human. They will also be used to create a set of nine, correlated, Internet-based Regenerative Life Role Courses available beginning in TBD.
Benefits to You Participating:
- Become more able to uplift the role you currently play to a regenerative mode of engaging in the world.
- Change how you see yourself and what you can achieve in everyday life without heroic effort.
- Grow more ability to lead others who are engaging in these roles as part of your friendship and support network.
- Get better at the role you are already playing and likely will do anyway.
- Receive excellent guidance (superior to what most training, advice, therapy, or coaching sessions provide) that is focused on something that really matters to you (and it’s currently free.)
- Join Carol for a one hour webinar regarding one specific role and learn about its essence. This will be recorded so that you may watch it after the fact and review it for up to a year after you complete the two-month project for the book. TBD are the dates, depending on which role you are focusing on. Attend the webinar or review the recording by TBD. (This means you do not have to be in a US Time Zone to participate.)
- After the call or review of recording, put your understanding to work. Spend several weeks exploring and evolving the ways you practice your role. Speak with others in your cohort about what is being awakened in you. Prior to the second webinar you may, and hopefully will, send personal questions that Carol can use as a basis for designing the session. (No hypothetical questions, please, and submit them no later than 3 days prior to the webinar.)
- Join Carol for a second one hour webinar to reflect on what you’ve been learning and to add new thinking and practices. Be prepared to report on your efforts and what you are seeing. TBD depending on the role you’ve selected.
- Continue putting it into practice, engaging with your thinking and your experiences. Share what you’ve been learning with others in your life.
- Spend a little time organizing you experience and select a specific story that demonstrates the changes you’ve observed in yourself and others. Call my Google Voice line (TBD) to share this 3-4 minute story. You will be given guidelines for reflection that will help you to develop this story. Some of these stories may end up being used in the book and educational materials, in which case I will arrange with you to do a follow-up interview. Some stories may also provide the basis for podcast interviews.
- Download and sign the Release Form authorizing me to use your story. (You will be asked to review any materials I use for accuracy).
- Optionally, choose to stay in the Life-Role community as a way to pursue further learning.
Criteria for Participating
- This book is for millennials and the following generations and they want stories that they can see are relevant to the fast changing world within which they live. I am particularly interested in involving young folks in these roles, but not only. And I want folks beyond white males by at least 50%. Help spread the word to your network.
- Must be currently in one or more of the roles in your life and desire to evolve it to higher levels of effectiveness, particularly through working from a regenerative philosophy
- Can create space and time to participate in and/or review the recordings and actively work to integrate into your life. More than one viewing will be helpful. Total Time: (2 hours materials, 1 hour for formulating story and leaving on Google Voice). In addition, you will be dedicating the time you already spend in this role to working in a new way, based on the insights and exploration you’ve chosen to pursue.
- Willing to share your story of the new discovery from the material in the webinar and the changes, pre and post webinar, in the role you currently pay. i.e. be transparent in your learning and discoveries.
If you would like to be involved in this project, please download the forms and email them to me at. email@example.com.